1) Congratulations to our January Students of the Month! H6-1: Alec Nissen & Isaac Nissen; H6-2: Taylor Cota & Ella Heim; H7-1: Erica Brimeyer & Gage Reynolds; H7-2: Carissa Elskamp & Gabby Liptak; H8-1: Marvin Oberbroeckling & Randa Oltmanns; H8-2: Brandon Doser & Grace Tupper. https://www.smore.com/xmk92
2) Are you between the ages of 13-17? How would you like to earn $1,000 this summer? Future Talk is a program of diverse youth expanding and strengthening the community through work in the outdoors, working with local partners, environmental literacy, and service to the community. Financial literacy and employment workshops are offered to each participant to help youth reach their highest potential. Applications are available for pick up at the Multicultural Family Center or on their website: mfcdbq.org and are due by March 15, 2015.
3) YOU ARE INVITED…HAVE SOME SOCCER FUN at the 1ST ANNUAL HEMPSTEAD YOUTH SOCCER CLINIC; presented by Hempstead Men’s Soccer Team. All boys and girls in Elementary and Middle school are invited to attend at the Hempstead High School North Gym. Wear tennis shoes and shin guards please. This takes place on Saturday, March 14, 2015; check-in at 9:00 a.m. and clinic begins at 9:30 a.m. and ends at 11:30 a.m. The MVC-conference ranked Hempstead Men’s Soccer team will train with the future soccer stars on shooting, dribbling, passing, and other soccer skills in a fun environment. Cost of registration will be $20 for per player, walk-ins are welcome. Registrations received by March 4, 2015, will receive a prize upon check-in. Stop by the main office for a registration form. Pizza will be served with the soccer team from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; parents/family are also welcome to attend; cost for this is $5 per person!
4) Parent/Student/Teacher conferences start tonight! Wednesday, February 25th from 3:30pm - 8:00pm - Regular School Day; Thursday, February 26th from 9:00am - 2:00pm - No School; Thursday, February 26th from 3:00pm - 7:30pm - No School. We do not schedule conferences at specific times for the majority of our students*. Instead, we encourage you to come at a date/time that works best for you and your family. We encourage you to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the end of a conference session so you are able to meet with all of your child's teachers. Teachers will be in the main gym for conferences on Wednesday and for the second session on Thursday. Teachers will be in their classrooms during the first session (9:00 am- 2:00 pm) on Thursday. All teachers will be available to meet with you for conferences during the times listed above. If a teacher shares multiple buildings, she may have a different time schedule which should have been communicated previously. There will be a "check-in" table located in the hallway leading to the main gym. We ask that all parents and students stop at the check-in table when you first arrive for conferences. At the check-in table you will receive a copy of the students schedule and report cards as well as a copy of your child's most recent Iowa Assessment results. (*This year House 6-1 core teachers will continue with student led conferences. If your child is in House 6-1 you should have received information relating to the specifics of this schedule. Conferences will be held in Mrs. Jones' classroom (U-202).) Visit our Jefferson book fair during conferences! We also will provide assistance for those who would like to receive updates on their student's grades and school announcements from PowerSchool.
5) Birthdays Today - February 25th...Colton Davis. February 26th...Brooke Hanson, Trenton Heming, Xavior Kennedy, Tristan Priest, Jodie Tunque. February 27th...Andrea Longstreet. February 28th...Ty Hancock, Grant Wiebke. March 1st…Diamond Johnson, Collin Nissen, Allison Wild.
6) Students who are utilizing homework help after school, remember to check-in with the LEAP staff in cafeteria before you go to the homework help room. The tutor will pick you up in the cafeteria and take you to the homework help room.
7) Any 8th grade girl who plays softball and is attending senior high school is encouraged to attend our open gyms from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. in the basement under Nora gym at Senior every Tuesday and Thursday night. Open Gym will meet every week with exception of Thursday Feb. 26th until May when practice starts. See Coach Brandel or Mr. Hatcher for more details.
8) Registration for Dubuque Pony League Baseball (formerly Dubuque Little League) is now open through March 6th. Please visit our web site at http://www.dbqpony.org for more information.
9) The Book Fair will be open now through the parent conferences.
10) If you would like to order a Memory Book, which is received the last day of school, bring $12 to the main office. This is ensure you will receive a memory book.
11) Students, Faculty and Staff...We will be hosting a D.A.R.E. Ski Night this Friday at Sundown. Registration is from 4-6 p.m. but you may ski until midnight. This is open to family members as well.
12) There will be no YCLUB today, February 25th.
Dubuque Junior Saints Hockey Kuddos to our Hillhawk hockey players: Tristan Priest, Charlie Fiegen, Baylor Kivlahan and Hunter Roraff took 1st place in hockey tournament in Marshfield, WI this weekend playing for Dubuque Jr. Saints! Well done!